Re: Training

Subject: Re: Training
From: Anita Collins <acollins -at- ROCKTENN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 10:53:19 -0500

Hi Damien! I have to say I always enjoy your comments on the list -- I'm
hoping I can help YOU a little this time. There is an American training
society called the American Society for Training and Development (ASTD),
and I'm almost positive there is an international counterpart. I tried to
look it up on the Internet, but their server seems to be down. There is
also a training list serv. Here's the info for that:

TRDEV-L

Subscription Address: listserv -at- psuvm -dot- psu -dot- edu
Message Body: subscribe trdev-l firstname lastname

I can recommend two excellent magazines on training, one is called Training
and the other is called Technology Training.
To subscribe to the first, write to:

Training
Subscription Service Department
50 South Ninth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402-9973

Technology Training (if that's the type of training your training manager
does) is a free magazine.
I have a sign-up card, but no way to get it to you. Their address is

Inside Technology Training
PO Box 1264
Skokie, IL 60076-8264

There are certification programs for trainers, but as far as I know they
are only offered by private training companies.
An excellent company is called Friesen Kaye & Associates. This company has
been around for 60 years, and has
been instrumental in changing how training is done. They offer a general
certification for trainers, and they also are
chosen by Microsoft as part of the curriculum to become a Microsoft
Certified Trainer. I also know that they offer
their seminars internationally. An excellent course they offer is called
"Managing the Training Function."
Their web site is "fka.com"

There are degree programs in instructional design, but as far as I know
none for training delivery. Many trainers
I know have degrees in Human Resources, but I plan to go back to school
myself and get a degree in
instructional design.

One last web site I know of that might be useful:
http://www.tcm.com/trdev/

I hope that helps. I wish your training manager the best of luck!
-- Anita