STC Adobe presentation: comparing FrameMaker, PageMaker,Word

Subject: STC Adobe presentation: comparing FrameMaker, PageMaker,Word
From: DURL <durl -at- BUFFNET -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 12:02:33 -0500

For those who asked--
Lori DeFurio, Adobe rep, did a nice job for our chapter last
Wednesday. However, her presentation focused largely on FrameMaker's
features, and less on a comparison. (This was fine in our area, where
FrameMaker is in use in few companies.)
She said that, once you get much over 50 pages, PageMaker gets
clunky to work with ("performance suffers");
also that Word isn't reliable over 50-70 page range, altho she was
professional enough not to trash Word.
Also, FrameMaker supports full range of colors; you can present
info in portrait or landscape view relatively easily in same doc. Another
impressive
feature was the conditional text, in which the same doc contains text
which can be suppressed depending on who the doc's going to. This might be
useful for people producing docs w/ multiple audiences (say, Operator and
Engineer).
key was to understand the template feature thoroughly.
Hope that helps,
Mary

Mary Durlak Erie Documentation Inc.
East Aurora, New York (near Buffalo)