Screen captures as movies?

Subject: Screen captures as movies?
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 10:41:47 +0000

A colleague has just asked for advice on capturing the screen display
of someone using one of the software packages we've developed for use
in a promotional video (VHS). We haven't had much luck using a
standard video camera to photograph the screen (too much flicker,
even though it's a noninterlaced monitor); purchasing a genlock card
so we can output the screen display directly to videotape while
viewing the software on a second monitor isn't an option.

So here's the question: Are there any inexpensive software packages
that run under Win95 and let you record AVI or .MOV files that could
be incorporated on a VHS tape? We don't need broadcast-quality video,
but we do want something reasonably high quality. Please respond
directly to me and I'll summarize to the list.
--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca