Re: Error messages

Subject: Re: Error messages
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 17:39:55 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Max Zimani <max -at- HERMES -dot- SI>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU <TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Friday, February 13, 1998 3:08 AM
Subject: Error messages

>I work at a software producing company as a technical communicator. I
>was assigned the task of writing online error messages for our manuals.
>Could anyone recommend an article on the basics of writing error
>messages. Thank you in advance.

At the very least, the error message must PROVIDE MEANINGFUL INFORMATION TO
THE USER such as how to recover, where a recovery file was written, who to
call, what to do, etc. If no action is required, the message should say
that.

Put yourself in the place of the user and ask, "If I got that message, what
would I think/do?"

Regards...Kris
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com
kris -at- olberg -dot- com