Re: box char

Subject: Re: box char
From: "hope.d.cascio" <hope -dot- d -dot- cascio -at- ARTHURANDERSEN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 10:09:02 -0600

I had this problem this weekend when I was converting some old Works and
WordPerfect files. For some reason, when I imported, it brought in apostrophes
and quotation marks as WP Typographic characters, so when I tried to search and
replace the first time 'round, it replaced those characters with their ASCII
equivalent in Times New Roman (the font the files were in, other than those
charaters), which was a hollow box. I had to redo the search and replace to
include the font I wanted the characters replaced in.

HTH,
Hope Cascio, Knowledge Transfer Developer

Dave Whelan wrote:

> Someone mentioned that Word shows them a hollow box character in a
> mystifying message. I also have a problem with hollow boxes: Word97 keeps
> inserting one of these characters into document text unbidden. I think it's
> got something to do with using the find/replace function in a particular
> way. I only became aware of the problem recently but it has me worried as
> have not been able to find a way to search for this character to find out
> whether it has been inserted anywhere else. Has anyone else run up against
> this problem?
>
> Regards,
> Dave.

BTW, and this is unrelated, but I found a chat room on ICQ for technical
communication professionals. The UIN is 6800207. Anyone try it? I've added
it to my contact list, so I'll keep an eye out.