Re: Writing for on-line

Subject: Re: Writing for on-line
From: Scott Miller <smiller -at- CORP -dot- PORTAL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 12:44:43 -0800

Mucho snippage...
...the conclusion that we should write differently for paper and
for online is absurd.
<<<<

In the sense of writing concisely for any media, that's true, but I've
done the single-source thing, and it doesn't work. Just one example:
there is no print equivalent of an online popup. Using popups makes a
huge difference in how you write and organize information. Also, users
never get "lost in hyperspace" in a book. Print and online are very
different media, and require very different writing approaches. Of
course, good writing is required by both media.

- Scott Miller
Portal Software
smiller -at- portal -dot- com