Re: Error messages - summary

Subject: Re: Error messages - summary
From: Dick Gaskill <dickg -at- AG3D -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 00:55:30 -0800

Max, here are a couple of suggestions. I didn't see your first message.

1. Write the error messages in plain english so that end users can
understand them. There is nothing worse than an undecipherable error
message, especially ones like the ancient DOS message "Bad command or
filename". Your developers are very smart to have a tech writer create
the error messages.

Use : The virtual memory on your system is full.
Not : Memory overflow

2. Siimilar errors, even on a single product, can be generated by
different modules in the code. Make sure each error message includes an
id number of some type so the user can find it in the manual and the
developer/engineer/programmer/support tech can easily track the cause.
Example:

MM120 The virtual memory on your system is full.

The MM120 identifies the specific place in the code that was active when
the message was generated. However, if possible, don't use exactly the
same text in each message, even when the errors are the same.

3. OK, the user knows what's wrong, but now what does he do to fix the
problem? In your manual, create a table of error messages. For each
error message, list as many causes as are likely to happen, and at least
one action to take for each cause.

HTH

-dg