Measuring Productivity

Subject: Measuring Productivity
From: Kathy Borgtodd <kborgtod -at- SCTCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 09:56:23 -0500

Fellow Techwhirlers--

I approach your encyclopedic knowledge of the multidimensionality of our
vocation with profound respect. Here's a request.

Variations on this question have been asked before, and before I go on I'll
state that I did search the archive and found only 8 truly helpful replies
out of 198 on the subject of measuring productivity in a documentation
department. I would especially like to address managers in asking, how do
you measure productivity in your department? I am mainly interested in
groups who produce a variety of documentation; on-line help, hard copy
manuals, web pages. What type, if any, of standards or algorithm do you
use? Can you lead me to any published resources (except Hackos; I already
am aware of her metrics) on measurements? Please reply either on or off
list. I will be happy to summarize the results to the list.

Thanks in advance!

Kathy Borg-Todd
Sr. Tech Writer/Project Estimator novice
SCT Utilities Systems, Columbia, SC 29203