Re: Tools for Newbies

Subject: Re: Tools for Newbies
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 11:06:26 -0800

Debbie Stewart wrote:

> I recenlty graduated from a Tech Comm program and am astounded at the lack
> of computer skills I have. It is not so much lacking in the ability to
> learn Word, Lotus Notes or FrameMaker, etc, as a lack of understanding of
> SGML, HTML, JavaScript, RoboHelp, and all of those newer technologies.

Music to my ears. Or eyes.

This is exactly the reason we structured our internship program the way
we have. We know that many budding technical writers have learned the
basics, but they don't know a lot of the tools that are in demand. So
we selectively take those shining young faces on as paid interns, teach
them all sorts of tools - including most of the things you mentioned -
and launch them into the market within a year. Granted, we still have a
business to run so that we can afford the interns, and our business is
subject to the ups and downs of any business - but the result is that
the interns learn that reality too.

I just wish more companies who decry the lack of sufficiently trained
technical people would realize the economics of hiring and training
interns. It make perfectly good sense to us.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems