Re: Using functional specifications as help

Subject: Re: Using functional specifications as help
From: Matt Craver <MCraver -at- OPENSOLUTIONS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 11:42:07 -0500

I have generally had very poor results in giving either raw or re-worked
FS's to customers of our software. These documents usually seem to
generate more questions than they answer. Having said that, we make
software for banks, and the end-users are most often tellers, CSR's,
branch bankers, etc. Whatever their other competencies, they generally
do not have the time to become technically literate in client-server
type technology. Your audience, being broadcasters, might easily
contain certain populations for which this approach would be useful.
Barbara Holcombe wrote:
> Our company develops broadcasting software and I write the
online help
> for the software. There has been some debate at our company as
to whether
> or not our clients can use functional specifications to help
them use our
> software. I guess this would be a replacement for the online
help we are
> currently writing. My feeling is that functional specs are too
technical
> for clients and they do not tell the clients how to do the
things they
> need to do.

-Matthew Craver,
Technical Documentation