Re: Autonumbering

Subject: Re: Autonumbering
From: Keith Soltys <ksoltys -at- DJTTD -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 00:02:23 GMT

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998 09:40:16 -0500, Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
wrote:

>As much as I shudder to admit it, we seem to have a large project coming
>into the house that will require hundreds of pages of graphics in Word,
>along with gobs of step instructions.
>
>Up to now I've just done workarounds for Word's autonumbering problems, but
>now I'd like to be able to grab the bull by the...horns...and shut off the
>pesky thing and number manually. (God how I hate to go to that, but it's
>better than wrestling with autonumbering!).
>
>Does anyone know how to deactivate this helpful little feature?

Tom, go to the Tools | AutoCorrect dialog box and select the
AutoFormat as You Type tab. Clear the Automatic bulleted lists check
box and clear the Automatic numbered lists check box. That should do
it.

You should get your hands on a copy of Woody Leonhard's Word 97
Annoyances. That's where I found the tip for turning off
autonumbering. It's an excellent book because it describes the way
Word REALLY works, not the way Microsoft wants you to think that it
works. If I could only have one book on Word, this one would be it.

Regards
Keith