Re: Thesis

Subject: Re: Thesis
From: mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 08:33:23 -0500

Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK> wrote:

<snip> it's now down to the real work! The options were a traditional
> academic thesis or a project based piece of work with an "academic"
> critique.
<snip> The thesis is 10-15000 words with approx 80% assigned to the critique
> with the other 20% used to "scene set".
<snip> All suggestion re background/reading etc will be most welcome.

Okay, Damien, you asked for it! ;-)

I have no suggestion as to what you're going to write about. My
immediate feeling is that if you're given an option of writing from
ten to 15,000 words, you should definitely go for a thesis on the slim
side -- that is, ten words or so. Sure, writing only ten words (maybe
twenty) will take a long time, because you have to refine them until
they're all gems and hang together perfectly, but in the long run
it'll be worth it.

-- Just kidding! <grin, duck, run>

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer (who now knows why her first editor told her always to
write "from $1 million to $5 million" rather than "from $1 to $5 million")
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(standard disclaimer)