URL style

Subject: URL style
From: Beth Kane <bkane -at- ARTISOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 10:55:35 MTN

I've just inherited an online Help project that repeatedly
refers to "a URL."

This bugs me, because when I first started hearing the
term used, I heard people pronounce it as "earl" -- not
"you are el." So I would've written it as "an URL."

But I'd better check on this. What is the predominant use
these days? What's the proper style? I don't find it in
the Microsoft style manual's index.

I should probably change it to an altogether different
term, such as "Internet address." Does this work for you?
Any other ideas?

Please post to me privately and I'll summarize for the
list. Thanks very much for your help,

Beth Kane, sr. tw
bkane -at- artisoft -dot- com

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an
airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football
team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you
need a beer."
--Frank Zappa