PDF Graphics FAQ

Subject: PDF Graphics FAQ
From: "Marie C. Paretti" <mparetti -at- RRINC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 14:44:33 -0500

A week or two ago I asked whether or not folks would be interested in a
"collected wisdom" thing on the problem of fuzzy graphics in PDF docs.
Seems like there was enough interest in such a FAQ that I am going to
attempt to put something together, and Deborah Ray has graciously offered
to put it up on the soon-to-be-open Techwr-l web site. Of course, as soon
as I decided that, I got sucked back into my work and haven't had a chance
to do anything.

But the time has come. This won't be a definitive FAQ by any means;
instead, what I'm hoping to do is compile a list of tips, tricks, and
caveats, along with what sorts of combinations and settings seem to produce
the best results for people.

Below is the survey I'd like to use to compile this thing. Please reply to
this message directly, and leave the subject line intact since I've set up
Eudora to filter all the messages by subject line. Any and all advice is
welcome -- naturally I'm more interested in what works than what doesn't,
but if there are spectacularly bad options people should stay away from,
please include the details.

1. Platform (Windows 95, NT, etc.)

2. DTP/WP Software (Frame, Word, etc.)

3. Screen Capture program and settings. Please include at least the image
format (.tiff, .bmp, etc.) and DPI -- other available settings will depend
on what program you use. If you know why you use certain settings, or why
you prefer this particular program, please include that information!

4. Graphics Settings: what settings do you use when you import the
graphics into your doc (for instance, Frame lets you set the DPI).

5. Distiller Settings: any and all, including which Acrobat Reader you
distill for (2.1 or 3) -- here too, if you have rationales, caveats, etc.
please include them. Please be as complete as possible.

6. Acrobat Reader/Exchange Settings (for example, text seems to look better
with the Smooth Text and Monochrome Images option OFF).

7. Anything else you have to add on the subject that seems useful. If
you've kept previous messages on this issue and want to forward them to me,
that would be great. I've already got a copy of Conrad Taylor's PDF
article from his website, but any other related information or web sites is
always welcome.

Since I'm doing this in my off moments, it may take me a while to sort
through the responses and compile something useful, but I will try to put
something together over the next few weeks. If you've kept all the past
list messages on this topic and want to forward them to me, I'm happy to
receive all that and wade through it for useful stuff as well.

Thanks in advance,
Marie

Marie C. Paretti
Recognition Research, Inc. (RRI)