Re: MS Word DOS to Mac?

Subject: Re: MS Word DOS to Mac?
From: Kees de Bondt <cbon -at- WXS -dot- NL>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 16:53:10 +0100

On 01-03-1998 Karen Schriver wrote:

>I've been having persistent troubles converting MS Word DOS files to MS
>Word Mac files. I am using a Mac 8500 and running Word 6.01. Does anyone
>have a good suggestion for easy conversion of IBM files I receive in
>e-mail? So far, I've had to ask the sender to convert the file to
>Binhex. That works but many people who send me stuff don't have that

That sounds being a problem in your mailer.
I use Claris Emailer on the Mac-site, which decodes BinHex, MIME-bas64
and UU-coded messages.
If your mailer only handles BinHex so far, the problem lies there...

>conversion facility. Is there anything I can do short of buying a
>Windows machine? I've heard of expensive cards you can buy and a program
>called SoftWindows 95 5.0. Does anyone have any experience with these?

In SoftWindows you need an extra Word for Windows with it...

>Do you recommend SoftWindows? Also If I invest in these things, would I
>be able to convert the file that comes in as e-mail attachment?

Another trap is Microsofts versions management. Transportability between
versions causes much hassle. Even in Windows.

Try MacLink Plus (V9.x now) from Dataviz (http://www.dataviz.com) which
offers a wide range of file translators in conjunction with Apple's Easy
Open system.
MacLink enables you settin up a dedicated file convertor from any WP
document (Windows, Unix or Mac) to Mac Word 6 (,7)

HopeItHelps

Kees de Bondt

QUALITY BY DOCUMENTATION
AlQuin Total Quality
Amstelveen - Home of CoBrA - NL
e-mail:cbon -at- wxs -dot- nl tl/fx +31.20.6450976
http://home.wxs.nl/~cbon/ The Quality Homepage