Subject: Summary: Editing PDF files?
From: Robyn Faulkner <rfaulkne -at- BTC -dot- ADAPTEC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 09:06:03 -0700

Here's the summary regarding my inquiry about editing PDF files. I'll
let you know what we end up doing.

---------------------
Documentum takes the approach of routing the pdf and collecting all the
reviewers' notes into a text file. This requires the discipline on the
reviewers' part of remembering to say in the notes what they are
pointing to on the page, because once they are sucked into a text file,
they are no longer located anywhere in page-space.

-----------------------
You can open PDF files one page at a time in Illustrator 7, make changes
or
add markings, then resave as PDF. Reader 3 should be able to print the
PDFs
with changes intact.

However, saving as PDF from Illustrator 7, while easy, has not always
been
so reliable for me. I would recommend a test print before distribution.
It
should work fine, but if it doesn't, you can always print to .ps from
Ill
7, then distill, and the resulting PDF will work.

Also, FWIW, I heard a rumor that ReMark capabilities will be built into
the
next version of Acrobat.
--------------------

I believe Re:Mark (and Exchange) is essential for you to be able to
_make_ the changes in a PDF but you can then choose to make those
mark-ups _visible_ in any copy of Acrobat Reader. (Re:Mark also allows
you to undo the changes (remove them all), until you decide to
finalize them.)

Also, it's slightly unclear what the changes are. If you are making
changes intended for final use, then Exchange can do many things but
several plugins make things easier. Alternatively, if you are marking
up a document with review comments, Re:Mark is probably appropriate
for everyone who needs to contribute review comments.