Re: Incorporating Pagemaker in a Tech Writing Class?

Subject: Re: Incorporating Pagemaker in a Tech Writing Class?
From: robyn <robyn -at- MAIL -dot- GOT -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 20:09:28 -0800

At Carnegie Mellon University, Professional and/or Technical Writing majors
are required to take many courses involving PageMaker. Some of them are:

Communication Design Fundamentals
Desktop Publishing
Intro to Prof/Tech Writing
Adv. Prof/Tech Writing

Also, document design is being taught not only in these classes, but others,
such as Online Information Design and Planning and Testing Documents.

I've been interviewed by several companies, and they all seem to be impressed
by my exposure to design. I can't see how this would be out of line for
non-tech writers, especially for Computer Science majors. Many of them will
become programmers, who often have significant input on the design of a
product. Also, in some companies, the developers are responsible for their own
documentation.

While FrameMaker is used more than PageMaker in the industry, PageMaker is a
much better design tool. Teaching both Page and Frame would be great!

I could probably write much more on this subject. You could check the CMU
course catolog. Their home page is www.cmu.edu

-Robyn