PDF / Apple CLW printing problems

Subject: PDF / Apple CLW printing problems
From: Patricia Bergsma <bergsma -at- LOCAMATION -dot- NL>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 09:45:19 +0100

Hi everybody,

Maybe someone can help me with the following problem :

I created a leaflet in Pagemaker 6.5. Then I made a PDF file of the leaflet
with the export to PDF function. This PDF file looks perfect on screen, but
when I want to print the it to our Apple Color LaserWriter 12/660 PS
(postscript) printer some colors in the leaflet are transformed into greys.
This color transformation only happens to the two pictures in the leaflet.
All normal and colored text looks fine. The two pictures are TIF pictures.

When I print the same PDF leaflet to our Epson stylus color 3000 printer,
the colors in the pictures print OK.

I also noted the following:
I ran into some old leaflets (created by an advertising agency) that were
created in Pagemaker 6.0. When I opened one of these leaflets in Pagemaker
6.5 and created a PDF file, this file printed correctly to the Apple CLW
printer. The pictures used in these files are EPS pictures.

When I substituted the EPS picture into a new leaflet, its PDF file will
also print OK. When I change the TIF picture of a new leaflet into an EPS or
JPG picture, the coloring is still wrong. When I change the EPS file of an
old leaflet to a TIF or JPG file and create a PDF, the colors are now also
wrong. I must say that all PDF files look OK on screen.

I checked all the settings of Pagemaker including the Color Manager and the
export to PDF function. I also checked the settings in the PDF file
concerning the printer. All settings look OK.

There must go something wrong in the conversion from pagemaker to PDF in
combination with the TIF pictures and the Apple printer.

Is anyone familiar with this kind of problem ? All reactions are welcome.

Patricia Bergsma
bergsma -at- locamation -dot- nl
Locamation B.V.
Enschede, The Netherlands