Trademark question

Subject: Trademark question
From: John Prince <prince1 -at- WEBTV -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 18:44:28 -0600

We have just started to create a "Standards Guide" at my firm, and we
ran into a bit of a debate about trademarks.

Now, in our meeting is a representative of our marketing department.
She feels that the trademark symbol should appear after each mentioning
of our software. This includes our User's Guides. She feels that the
symbol should appear even in chapter headings and sub-headings. Seeing
as the User's Guide that I am in charge of mentions the product name
*numerous* times throughout the book (including many headings) I think
it's "overkill."

What *I* think is that the trademark symbol should only be used after
the first mentioning of the product in the body text. After all, the
purpose of a trademark symbol is protection. In the front matter there
is a small paragraph that says the product is our trademark. Then in
the body text I feel it should be used when first mentioned, and that's
it.

The marketing rep showed us a letter she received from an attorney,
which advised us to use it after each reference; thus, why our marketing
rep thought we should do so. I was able to sway her into my line of
thinking, but I'm curious as to what you guys think.

Also, please cc my other e-mail address, jprince -at- teknekron -dot- com with your