Re: Re[2]: Should we skip HTML?

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Should we skip HTML?
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 00:27:40 +0100

Mike,

you do have a very specific use for your documentation. Your product does
limit the user range, therefore you don't have to care about platform
independency. You do however enforce quite a lot of resources on your users
machines.

I am not quite sure whether all the features your documentation has can be
implemented with standard PDF, but I think most can with the newest Acrobat
Forms plug-in. With appropriate plug-ins, the rest should be possible (and
then you have the same situation as with your Active-X elements).

I am right now in the finishing stages of a fully interactive electronic
catalog which is PDF based. It allows the user to jump from a given item to
related items (if they are paired) or to the next (wider, longer, bigger,
etc.) item. On the item level, the user has a form which he can use as
worksheet, request for quote, order, etc. This form also allows to enter
customizing requests besides the quantities and delivery dates. The
worksheet can be printed out or be sent as e-mail (if Acrobat Reader runs
under a Web Browser) to my client. My client can use the same set-up for
the quote, order confirmation etc.

So, why was I not chosing HTML for that project? The main reason were
integrity of the documents, platform independency, and interactivity. The
catalog must be an off-line system, running from a CD. Keep in mind that
internet access is still a rather costly business in Switzerland, although
things are improving.

So, I guess, I can say that calling the PDF format "static and
non-interactive" is kind of a myth. But I do agree with you that it depends
a lot on the circumstances, which format is the most suitable for a certain
project.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch or 100012 -dot- 44 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Bridging the Knowledge Gap

The main reason were control over the appearance (remember, it is a catalog)