Re[2]: Should we skip HTML?

Subject: Re[2]: Should we skip HTML?
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 08:39:45 -0600

It's a wonder that the World Wide Web ever became so popular. We
should just be using ftp to transfer PDF files back and forth to each
other.

My, we certainly are in love with hyperbole, aren't we?

I'd say the reason was readily apparent. The HTML files would have had to
be read right then and there, while the PDF file made a nice portable
package that could be referred to again and again, in places where net
access may be difficult or impossible. (As a user, I sometimes take a
laptop outside and enjoy the weather. Never saw a tree with a 10BaseT
connection built in, and wireless is too flaky and expensive at the
moment.)

The question is what will the users be doing with the information? If you
know they will be in certain situations when they refer to it, you deliver
it in ways which will be accessible to them under those circumstances. If
you don't know, you have to plan for as wide an access as possible.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224