HTML files and Java

Subject: HTML files and Java
From: Evelyn Barker <evelynb -at- MCSDALLAS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 15:32:29 -0600

Hello,

My company is developing its first Java application and wants to include html help files.

Previously, I had been creating html files with Front Page. The files were then included as a separate entity within the program (kind of like a readme file).

Now, however, the company has bought a Java viewer called Jeditor Pane that is supposed to be called from a Help button and display the html files.

The files created with Front Page do not open at all in Jeditor. Some sample files created with HTML Transit opened, but the formatting was off--lots of bullets suddenly inserted and spacing gone haywire.

At the moment, we still rely heavily on printed manuals for our customers. Thus, I really liked HTML Transit because it is the closest thing I've seen to single sourcing print and HTML. Plus, the Transit files look nice compared to the plain vanilla ones I was producing. I'd love to get Transit, but not if it means spending lots of time cleaning up the file.

Does anyone have any experience with Jeditor? Does anyone have any better suggestions? I've looked at Jelp, but can't justify it just yet. And of course JavaHelp isn't an option at this time. The company does not want html files that are browser-specific a la Nethelp or HTMLHelp.

All help appreciated.

Evelyn Barker
Technical Writer
Micro Computer Systems, Inc.
evelynb -at- mcsdallas -dot- com

This message was sent using Calypso E-mail.
Check it out and download a free demonstration at http://www.mcsdallas.com.