Gutters: Empty or Removed?

Subject: Gutters: Empty or Removed?
From: joe malone <joe -at- MANAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 16:25:06 -0800

I'm using a Frame template for my manuals that leaves a nice big gutter
on the page. The only problem is, it's empty. Not even the section
titles or screens intrude (by my choice). In fact, even the headers
respect it.

Is this an embarrassment, being empty, or is the feel of white space
sufficient justification for its existence? What are current popular
items to put there? The manual is too simple for sidebars (or maybe
not).

A brief archive search for "gutters" turned up nothing.

Thanks in advance...

joe -at- manage -dot- com