How to fix MSWord97 "This document may be corrupt" problem?

Subject: How to fix MSWord97 "This document may be corrupt" problem?
From: Jim Pulsipher <Jim -dot- Pulsipher -at- DIGITAL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 16:21:42 -0500

I am writting a technical specification using MSWord97 on WinNT. At this
time it is about 50 pages and includes tables and linked graphics. It
will
probably end up over 100 pages. I started out using the Master Document
mode (since then have discovered this is a BAD idea...I have had lots of
problems).

I am getting the following message when opening the spec in Word:

"This document may be corrupt. To preserve the contents:
Choose Select All from..."

Following the instructions to preserve the contents does not make any
difference...the next time I open the spec I still get the "may be
corrupt"
message.

I have tried cutting and pasting sections and/or paragraphs of text one
at a time into a new document....some sections appear to cause the
corruption message... but then if I delete everything in this new
document I still get the "may be corrupt" message when I try to open
it later.

Can somebody offer a way to cure this corruption?

Thank you,
Jim Pulsipher
Digital Equipment Corp.
StorageWorks Division