Re: CBT v Training Redirect

Subject: Re: CBT v Training Redirect
From: Ginna Watts <gwatts -at- PIM -dot- BC -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:45:29 -0800

Elissa wrote: (snipped)

>I think that within the next ten years (my own speculation of course) most
>everybody will be "comfortable" with computers, enough to embrace
>technology in a way we have never seen.

>On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Tracy Boyington wrote:
>
>> For some topics, perhaps. What *is* impossible is picking the one Holy
>> Grail of delivery methods (whether it be stand-up trainer, CBT, or
>> something else) that works best for all subjects and all learners.

Our company has been looking at delivering some CBT tutorials with the
software, but we are not thinking they will replace full-blown training.
Why?

Our mapping software is in use mostly in forestry, but also mining, urban
planning and environment. In these fields, our users have very different
needs. Usually the trainers go out and tailor the course on the fly to suit
the needs of that particular group.

Their data and their needs are so different, we are constantly amazed. Our
trainers have worked in a production environment, so they are able to answer
questions not only on the software, but also on how to tailor the software
and our project environment to suit their specific data. A CBT could never
replace this kind of hand-holding, and it's one of the reasons people buy
our software.

There are products out there that would suit CBT perfectly. The user group,
their experience level, their usage of the product - you may be able to
assume that these are the same across the board. If that's so, then CBT may
be the right way to go.

But there will always be products where a "one size fits all" approach is
never appropriate.

Ginna Watts - Technical Writer
Pacific International Mapping
Victoria, BC