Re: CBT vs. Training

Subject: Re: CBT vs. Training
From: Barb Ostapina <Barb -dot- Ostapina -at- METROMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 13:34:41 -0500

Elissa wrote:

<<<<<<<What are some thoughts out there on Computer Based Training
versus training in the flesh? Are we just fooling ourselves or is CBT
the next wave of effective information transmission?>>>>>

I spent a good number of my productive employment years working in a
variety of roles at a multimedia training company. Sold, supported and
helped develop my share of CBT. I was also a special educator in another
previous life. My feeling about CBT is that, like pretty much everything,
it has it's place but doesn't belong everywhere.

In my experience, CBT (assumed well written) is excellent for entry level
training when basic skill learning is important, and the information that
is covered in the lessons is essentially the same for every student. This
is where I've seen many instructors burn out -- repeating the same,
fundamental information over and over in introductory courses. But I have
yet to see a good advanced level CBT course. It is not cost-effective and
time-to-market is too long to incorporate all the variations of how to do
something (or how to fix something that you do wrong) that come up with
more advanced students. I believe that CBT can be used effectively as an
introduction to a topic (and to "level the playing field" among students of
varying experience levels), but that live bodies are essential for
providing expert level instruction and problem solving support.

--Barb
barb -dot- ostapina -at- metromail -dot- com
...speaking only for myself.