Pricing Translation Costs

Subject: Pricing Translation Costs
From: Christine Lienhart <clienhart -at- PREVUENET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 07:36:26 -0600

Hi, everyone! I've been asked to come up with a cost estimate for
translating a set of documentation that has yet to be written. Right
now it is only to be written in two versions: English and
Spanish...doubtful any other languages will be needed. I don't know
much about how many pages or components it will ultimately have, so this
is no easy task, I'm sure. But I have never worked with a translation
company or an independent translator so I'm wondering if there is a
starting point for estimating, like a price per page?

I looked in the techwr-l archives and saw where someone suggested using
an independent if there is only one language involved, any more thoughts
on this? Also, I'm curious about the hours involved for translating,
say, a 50-page user guide for a software application. (No translation
of screen shots would be necessary.)

I suppose any information about the general translation process would be
very helpful, but I'm most interested in how the pricing is done. And,
surprise! -- I'm supposed to have something formulated by this
afternoon.

Thanks in advance for all your sound advice. : )

Christine Lienhart
Prevue Networks
Tulsa, OK

P.S. The files to be translated will probably be in Word.