Re: Writing Samples

Subject: Re: Writing Samples
From: Keith Arnett <keith_arnett -at- RESTON -dot- OMD -dot- STERLING -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 13:27:45 -0500

Are the documents you wrote released to the public? Are they
commercially available through purchase, or via any other means of
general availability? If so, this type of restriction is pretty much
meaningless and (in my opinion) non-enforceable.

On the other hand, if the documents you wrote are truly controlled
material (national security, trade secrets, etc.), and are not
generally available to the public, then your employer may have a valid
point.

Did you sign a non-disclosure agreement when you accepted employment?
If so, you are most likely bound by its terms--read it carefully.

If you are going on interviews while still employed with the company
in question, that probably rules out asking written permission to use
specific documents as samples.

If you are absolutely in a corner and unable to use the docs you
wrote, I would suggest you write a separate sample doc similar in
style and content that would be representative of your abilities.

Regards,

Keith Arnett
Technical Writer
Sterling Software, Inc./Operations Management Division
Reston VA USA

Subject: Writing Samples
Author: "Mitchell Moira E (MED)" <Moira -dot- Mitchell -at- amermsx -dot- med -dot- ge -dot- com> at
INTERNET
Date: 3/23/98 11:36 AM

Hi all!

Has anyone run into a problem taking writing samples to an interview?
What do you do if the company you work for says that you cannot give out
their documents even if you wrote them?

Thanks!

Moira Mitchell