Re: Writing samples

Subject: Re: Writing samples
From: "Thomason, Sharon L" <slthomas -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 09:10:21 -0600

This is my first tech writing position, and when I was asked to provide a
writing sample, I gave a paper from a literature class. Even though the
content wasn't technical, it showed my employer that I could write. I am
now in a tech writing certification program, and my writing pedagogy class,
comprised of teachers and tech writers, has been discussing whether their
are really that many differences between technical and academic writing. I
don't think that there are. What are your thoughts on the subject?

I'm a working Documentation Manager, and I always require writing samples.
If someone can't give me sufficient samples, I give them a writing test.
I've been burned too many times.