Re: WRITING SAMPLES

Subject: Re: WRITING SAMPLES
From: Marvin Cochrane <cochrane -at- TSUFL -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 19:58:29 -0600

Ah, I feel obliged to delurk.

I have had only a few tech writing jobs, and have hired only a few tech
writers. I was never asked for writing samples nor did I ever ask for them.
I never was asked to take a test or write on some demeaning topic, like how
to sharpen a pencil, nor did I ever ask for such tasks. Unlike an
illustrator or photographer, writers, as has been pointed out in this
discussion, submit a work sample in the form of a resume and, often, in a
cover letter. And then there's the interview ... If anyone had brought
proprietory material from another company to me, I'm sure the interview
would have been very short. Now, for my last job interview, which was
succesful, I did offer as samples some pieces of mine from my STC chapter's
newsletter.

Marv Cochrane