No subject given

Subject: No subject given
From: Iain Harrison <iharriso -at- SCTCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 12:28:00 GMT

Horace Smith really did seem to write:

My writer's must have a good knowledge of electronic circuitry. So I
examine them on simple schematics. I think I can teach them how to write
much faster than I can teach them what to write.
<<

Sorry, but I fail to see how you could possibly hire a technical writer and
be in a position to teach them how to write. If my seven-year-old daughter
had written something as badly as that, I'd have been appalled.

Teaching someone to write well doesn't take weeks, it takes years.

Perhaps that is the point.

You need a degree of technical expertise to judge someone's ability in that
field. A recruiter who cannot write well is in no position to judge the
ability of another writer. That's why hiring managers look at writing
samples and HR staff don't.

Maybe your posting wasn't badly written, and I am misjudging it because I
can't write myself.

I doubt it, though.

Iain