Re: Internal Document Numbering

Subject: Re: Internal Document Numbering
From: "Pilipovich, Kathleen" <Kathleen -dot- Pilipovich-1 -at- KMAIL -dot- KSC -dot- NASA -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 12:45:31 -0500

I've used variations of this numbering system for several projects and
it has worked well.

product-doctype-number (example: FrameMaker-UG-001, Frame-UG-001,
FM-UG-001)

product = product name (can use shortened version of product or
acronym)

doctype = user guide, requirements, specs
(We used acronyms for the types of docs we
published:
UG = user guide, FR = functional requirements, DS
= design specs,
MG = maintenance guide, AT = acceptance test)

number = 01 or 001, depending on the number of docs for that
product

I hope this helps.

Kathy Pilipovich
United Space Alliance
Kathleen -dot- Pilipovich-1 -at- ksc -dot- nasa -dot- gov
407-861-7723