Re: Tech Writer - Introvert or Extrovert ?

Subject: Re: Tech Writer - Introvert or Extrovert ?
From: Barry Kieffer <barry -dot- kieffer -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 09:11:35 -0800

> To all Technical Writers:
>
> At the last STC meeting that I attended, the guest speaker talked about
> the attributes of a successful technical writing consultant. He said
> that it was important to be a "strong introvert". I did not ask him to
> further elaborate (primarily because I'm a technical writer and an
> extrovert). However, I've been thinking about that comment a lot. Is
> he right? Is the answer situation specific?
>
> Tony Markatos

It all depends on what characteristic you are introverting and what
characteristic you are extraverting.

The STC speaker had to have been talking about type preferences, and there
is where he fell short. To say a technical writing consultant must be a
"strong introvert" is akin to saying that it is important for a technical
writing consultant to have a technical background. There is no "one right
way".

Your type can certainly be introverted (read: introspective), but to succeed
as a consultant there must be some extraversion (read: expressive) nature to
your outward behavior. Remember, introverts are "introspective" not "shy".

IMNSHO

Yes, I am an ENTP. That is why I am so darn comfortable correcting people.
After all, everybody thinks like me, and I am never wrong...

Now lets get off this non-techwr-l topic before Ray puts his foot down.

Barry