Re: Help Authoring Tools

Subject: Re: Help Authoring Tools
From: Krista Von Wagner <krista -at- QUADRALAY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 10:56:56 -0600

Hello,

This is FYI for those writers producing HTML, HTML Help, or WinHelp from
FrameMaker....

Yesterday, Quadralay released WebWorks Publisher 4.0 Beta2 for Windows (we
expect to release the Beta for UNIX in 3-4 weeks).   The primary new features
of WebWorks Publisher 4.0 include:

* Enhanced ease of use. Redesigned and updated GUI contains easy to use
dialogs for many more common configuration parameters.
* Intelligent Project Wizard. For new projects, an optional wizard
guides users quickly through the process of generating an initial
conversion, including auto-generation of styles based on style and
formatting elements in the original documents.
* Enhanced, easier to use support for non-HTML on-line formats such as
WinHelp and Microsoft HTML Help.
* Enhanced handling of file attributes and hypertext markers. New system
macros and styles provide the next level of control over TOC and index
generation, cross-references and other hypertext issues.

If you have already evaluated Beta1, below is a list of improvements/additions
you will find in Beta2:

* Full support for jumps and popups using normal FrameMaker cross references
* Improved FrameMaker TOC to WinHelp CNT contents conversion
* Improved conversion of FrameMaker index markers to WinHelp K-links
* Improved graphics handling
* Improved table handling
* Added support for Web jumps to URLs
* Improved handling for Topics and Popups, allowing all topics to be put in
one file rather than requiring splitting (splitting is still and option)
* A full example showing how to create and hook up context sensitive help
using Visual C++ and FrameMaker has been added .
* Improved project management capabilities and reporting

The aforementioned is only a brief overview of some of the new
functionality of
WebWorks Publisher 4.0.  The 4.0 Beta2 of WebWorks Publisher can be
downloaded from:
<http://www.quadralay.com/Publisher/4-0_prev.html>http://www.quadralay.com/P
ublisher/4-0_prev.html .

Best Regards,

Krista Von Wagner
Quadralay Corp
Sales Manager

A question to my peers: what experiences (good and bad) can you
share/advice can you give about help authoring tools?  We are looking at
Doc-to-Help, RoboHelp, and ForeHelp (with some slight leaning toward the
latter).  We've read the research on ComputerSelect and elsewhere, but -
before we consider buying and training - it would be wonderful to hear your
"been there, done that" stories.  You may answer on- or off-list.  If
others think it's worthwhile, I'll publish a summary of your comments.
Thanks!

Marilyn Baldwin
mlbb -at- capgroup -dot- com

Krista Von Wagner                         EMail:  krista -at- quadralay -dot- com
Quadralay Corporation                  Phone:  (512) 719-3399 X237
9101 Burnet Road, Suite 105        Fax:    (512) 719-3606
Austin, TX 78758                            URL:
<http://www.quadralay.com/>http://www.quadralay.com

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where
they went."