Re: Web vs. web?

Subject: Re: Web vs. web?
From: Michael Lewis <lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 21:35:56 +1000

What's happening here is, subliminally, a distinction between "the Web"
and "a web". "Publishing to (or on) the Web" means making the document
available via the WWW; "dynamic web reports" can be published to (or on)
the Web or your local intraweb; the technology in the document is the
same either way. (I'll not buy into the question of how many I/internets
there are ... except that, if it's capitalised, then it's the one we all
use; if it ain't, then it's architecturally cognate but a different,
smaller thing.)

BTW, is publishing on the Web the same as publishing to the Web? I think
not. Publishing *to* the Web refers to the process of uploading;
publishing *on* the Web refers to use of the Web as a distribution
medium.

--
Michael Lewis
Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia