How do you handle release notes

Subject: How do you handle release notes
From: "Cowley, Martha - Broomfield, CO" <Martha -dot- Cowley -at- CEXP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 08:48:18 -0700

Hello Listees,
My company develops proprietary client server software to support their
business processes (The business is distribution and office supplies)
and we are looking into formalizing the release note process. We
generally have weekly updates to the software, but usually only once a
month does the release size warrant a notification to the field. The
software is still in development cycle so the frequency of change
remains a constant (if that's not an oxymoron).

I haven't much experience with release notes so I searched the archives
and found some information on release notes. But the information was
sparse. I need more information on what other companies include in their
release notes.

If you develop/have experience with release notes for software can you
please respond off list to Martha -dot- Cowley -at- cexp -dot- com, as I am a digest
reader. I will post a summary of responses in a few weeks time.

Please tell me the following:

What do you include in the release notes? (Screen shots, procedures,
process information, what else?)

What format do you publish release notes in (Electronically through
e-mail, with the software, hard copy).

How do you differentiate between releases notes (numbering, publishing
numbers).

What kind of formatting do you include? (header and footers)

What goes in a release note publication vs readme.txt?

And is there a book(s) you can recommend that I can use for reference?

Thanks as always for sharing your experience.

Sincerely,
Martha Cowley
(One more project on the pile, and I think cloning would be good - where
do I sign up?)
Standard disclaimer