Re: Do I need a licence to use JPEG (.JPG) file format comme

Subject: Re: Do I need a licence to use JPEG (.JPG) file format comme
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 13:23:36 -0600

I'm currently writing an interactive multimedia "manual" in Visual
Basic. The manual will include some photos, and I would like to use
the JPG format. But my client has told me, that they are afraid that
distributing a commercial product which includes JPG files will need
some permission/licence from somebody, somewhere.

<include not-a-lawyer disclaimer here>
No. You never need a license or permission to use a file format. You often
need a license for the software which writes a particular file format, or
displays it, but not for the file format itself.

In the case of JPEG, the algorithm is public (at least here in the US) so
there is no license fee incurred even for the applications which read and
write it. (Unlike GIF, which contains a patented algorithm and so
commercial applications which use it are required to pay a license fee.)

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224