Re: Readability...some more observations

Subject: Re: Readability...some more observations
From: Michael Lewis <lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 20:11:30 +1000

The problem Mary reports here is widespread. Mary attributes it to "not
being an editor"; I usually attribute it to "not being a linguist". In
fact, it's just a matter of people knowing that something's wrong but
not having the analytical tools to understand what the problem is, and
not having the concepts or vocabulary to clearly express their view.

Exactly the same thing happens when academics mark term papers etc:
unless they are working in a language- or communication-related field,
they give feedback that rarely helps the student understand exactly what
they are doing wrong or how to get it right in future.

So, yes: we do have to look behind the description of the problem, and
ask what the real problem is.

--
Michael Lewis
Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia