Ways to indicate spaces in command lines?

Subject: Ways to indicate spaces in command lines?
From: "Mitchell, Moira E (MED)" <Moira -dot- Mitchell -at- AMERMSX -dot- MED -dot- GE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 10:21:59 -0500

Good morning!

I just returned from a fruitless visit to the Archives. I am trying to
update a manual that contains command lines that our field engineers
use. Apparently there has been some confusion over where to place
spaces when they are typing in these commands. Does anyone have any
ideas on how I can show them where the spaces (and how many) appear in
each line? Using an underscore won't work, because that is actually
used for directory names, etc.

Thanks!

Moira Mitchell
GE Medical Systems