Re: Ways to indicate spaces in command lines?

Subject: Re: Ways to indicate spaces in command lines?
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- CYBERPASS -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 15:38:47 -0700

&gt;Apparently there has been some confusion over where to place
&gt;spaces when they are typing in these commands. Does anyone have any
&gt;ideas on how I can show them where the spaces (and how many) appear in
&gt;each line? Using an underscore won't work, because that is actually
&gt;used for directory names, etc.

Gone are the days when we had to start our statements exactly at column seven,
because columns 1-5 were for the line number and column 6 was the continuation
column. Nowadays, input software can and should allow users broad latitude.

If users are doing something that makes perfect sense to them, the software
ought to make every effort to understand it. It can then translate the input
into whatever rigid internal format the system requires. ...RM

Richard Mateosian <srm -at- cyberpass -dot- net>
Review Editor, IEEE Micro Berkeley, CA

(C) Copyright 1998. All rights reserved.