Re: Communicating obscure product changes

Subject: Re: Communicating obscure product changes
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 16:11:48 +0800

Keith Arnett said:
> I have worked on products where an ever-growing README file was
> included with the release. With each new release, new information
> was inserted into the top of the file. This made for an interesting
> (and lengthy) chronological history of the product, but had little
> interest in terms of functionality to the end user.

A couple of customers have told me that they would really like to see
not just the latest release notes but the ones for the previous one or
two versions as well, for two reasons:

1. They won't necessarily take every upgrade we ship. If they choose
to skip release 4.1 and go straight from 4.0 to 5.0 they'd like to
have the full set of notes for 4.1 and 5.0.

2. Maybe they installed 4.1 to get two particular features. There's
lots of other nice stuff in 4.1 but it wasn't urgent so they didn't
look into it at the time. When they upgrade to 5.0 it's good to see
the new features and other notes for 4.1 to jog their memory about
useful features they already own but aren't using yet.

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield "No amount of make-believe
Functional Software Pty Ltd Can help this heart of mine"
mailto:slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au -- Midnight Oil "Dream World"