Re: Re[2]: Americans working in Canada

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Americans working in Canada
From: Lisa Comeau <lmcomeau -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 11:14:23 PDT

Yes, the difference in the dollar value here and the US is significant,
but it fluctuates. As for the tax bracket, your friend would have had to
have been making a VERY large income to be at 50%. When an American
relocates to Canada, their tax breaks, etc., are usually (I say usually,
so please, nobody get ticked off and shoot me) much beter than our fair
country gives its own citizens.

Many Canadians relocate to the US thinking it will be better there, and
for some it is, but sometimes that green-looking grass on the other side
turns brown.

It's too bad that we here in Canada don't usually get the pay scale or
recognition of work we do unless we relocate to another country. (My
2cents)

Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 12:40:55 -0500
From: Keith Arnett <keith_arnett -at- RESTON -dot- OMD -dot- STERLING -dot- COM>
Subject: Re[2]: Americans working in Canada
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU

I recently worked with a Canadian software engineer on a project
here
in the states, He cited the low value of the Canadian dollar (vs.
the
American dollar) and the relatively high Canadian tax rate (50% is
what he mentioned) as his main reasons for working in the states.

Regards,

Keith Arnett
Technical Writer
Sterling Software, Inc./Operations Management Division
Reston VA USA

_________________________________
Subject: Re: Americans working in Canada
Author: Lisa Comeau <lmcomeau -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM> at INTERNET
Date: 4/7/98 9:33 AM

I am a Canadian, and I'd just like to let you know that Americans
transferring here happens LESS often than Canadians relocating to the
U.S., but the process for an American to be allowed to work in CA is
easier than the other way 'round.

Yes, it happens, there is hope for you yet! <G>

There are quite a few companies (specifically in Nova Scotia, where I am
from) that need good technical writers. If you have the experience and
education needed to be a tech writer in the U.S., you have it to be one
in Canada. You might want to look at some recruiters' sites within
Canada that deal specifically with people in IT or Technical jobs.

I reccommend Saber Consultants in Toronto, Ontario. (And I'm not biased
because they just got me my dream job last week! <G>)I THINK their
website is www.saber.com or www.saberedge.com.

L.M. Comeau
PC Technical Consultant / IT Instructor
lmcomeau -at- hotmail -dot- com