Re: Americans working in Canada?

Subject: Re: Americans working in Canada?
From: Dave Whelan <dwhelan -at- PANGEA -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 15:36:20 -0500

Rowena Hart advised:
>Actually, there is a very reasonable tax break available (from the Gov't of
>Canada) for folks who are moving between cities to take a new job. Moving
>and living expenses are covered 100 per cent and can be recovered in the
>form of a tax rebate when you file your taxes for that calendar year. I do
>NOT know whether this is available to American citizens applying for work
>visas or immigration status in Canada; you would have to talk to a
>representative of Revenue Canada to confirm that.

You can only deduct your moving costs from your income at the new location,
you don't get a tax rebate covering the whole cost. Also it's restricted to
moves within Canada
(or in some cases from Canada to outside Canada). Also, you would have to be
deemed resident here for tax purposes to pay Canadian taxes rather than US
and if you don't pay Canadian taxes, you don't get the tax break.


David P. Whelan, Technical Writer
Whelan Technical Services (204) 334-1339
mailto:dwhelan -at- pangea -dot- ca

Previous by Author: Using OR as a verb
Next by Author: Re: Americans working in Canada?
Previous by Thread: Re: Americans working in Canada?
Next by Thread: Re: Americans working in Canada?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads