Re: Corporate Constipation

Subject: Re: Corporate Constipation
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 16:04:42 +0100

Doesn't seem to to be too bad here (from my experience) in the UK apart
from my first job. For that I had the interview and was told I'd be
contacted in a couple of weeks. Six weeks later (and numerous interviews
being over and under qualified - I didn't even know what TW was when I
applied!), more than slightly peeved, I wrote them a very sarcastic letter
thanking them so much for letting me know. Got a phone call the next day
to say I was on a short list and, a couple of days later, was offered the
job. I later found that, as the work was documenting stuff for the Army,
it involved a security check, Official Secrets Act etc which can take up to
2 months and they can't tell you about it until (unless?) you pass!

The next job was offered the same day as the interview (big company but
local hiring), the next after the second interview (about 2 weeks) and my
current job, again after about 2 weeks. Maybe I've just been lucky. It
seems to be the general rule though that it's easier to get a job if you
already have one and aren't desparate to move!

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
PAC International