Re: Corporate Constipation

Subject: Re: Corporate Constipation
From: Richard Cook <Cook-Richard -at- CDSSOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 09:02:28 -0700

Maurice King wrote:
>I wondered if the word "urgent" had changed its meaning since
>I had left the United States, because clearly it did not mean
>what I had thought.

One reason for this in my experience is that by the time a manager
realizes help is needed and gets through all the hoops to be authorized
to hire, the need really *is* urgent. Unfortunately, that often does not
result in rapid action during the search & hiring process.

Maurice also said:
>During the first week of work, however, I was swamped by calls from
>companies with whom I had been negotiating earlier! Suddenly they just
>couldn't wait.

Not surprising, for the same reason described above.

Here's another anecdote for this thread, in which the "slow" company is
worth waiting for: My current employer was among the first 5 prospects I
investigated at the beginning of what was to be a 4-month hunt. For a
series of reasons, I was not called for an interview during all that
time (but I continued to follow up periodically). Another prospect that
would have paid very well entertained me with an individual interview as
well as a group interview (with the entire staff I would have managed),
and got my hopes really up when the hiring manager told me he was
deciding between me and one other candidate. I know the "other
candidate" has the job now, but the hiring manager never talked to me
about it. I'm glad I don't work for him!

Richard Cook
CDS Software
cook-richard -at- cdssoftware -dot- com