Windows 9x, or 95/98?

Subject: Windows 9x, or 95/98?
From: Elizabeth Kane <bkane -at- ARTISOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 12:12:27 -0700

Fellow writers,

We're developing products that will work on both Windows 95 and
Windows 98 (as well as Windows NT 4.0). Our developers have told us
they'd like us to refer to the two "nineties" operating systems
together as Windows 9x.

I haven't yet seen docs for any products that say they work with both
95 and 98, so I thought I'd go straight to the source and ask what you
think is the best way to handle this.

Windows 9x echoes what happened style-wise with Windows 3.0, 3.1, 3.11
-- they became referred to collectively as Windows 3.x. With the
nineties, though, there's no need for the decimal point.

If we go with Windows 9x, we would certainly explain it on first
reference (works with both Windows 95 and Windows 98). Maybe even on
first reference in every chapter or major section of online Help.

Windows 95/98 is another way of handling it.

Feedback, please! I'll summarize for the list. Please let me know
whether you've already made a departmental decision on the usage, or
you're expressing the opinion you're currently leaning toward.

Thanks very much,
Beth Kane
Senior Technical Writer
bkane -at- artisoft -dot- com