"Urgent" Hiring Practices & lack of candidates

Subject: "Urgent" Hiring Practices & lack of candidates
From: Ruth Glaser <rglaser -at- DATAWORKSMPLS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 13:19:56 -0500

As someone who is trying to hire a knowledge engineer, I've read with
interest the thread about "Corporate Constipation" and the seemingly
lengthy hiring process for "urgent" positions.

If I had qualified candidates, I would interview & hire them within as
short a time frame as possible. I, however, have received *2* resumes
for a position that works with new technologies, is frought with
opportunity & pays a competitive salary.

Here is what I've done in an attempt to find candidates:
- posted the position on this listserver
- posted the position on my STC chapter's Job Exchange (voice mail & web
site)
- posted the position on our company web site
http://www.dataworksmpls.com/company/jobs.asp
- run a classified ad in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune (print & on-line)

I'll be attending our STC meeting tomorrow night to try to solicit
interest in this position, but I'm skeptical.

Also, we've had a technical writing position open in another department
of my company for several months and we can't find candidates.

It amazes me that companies are letting good, qualified candidates slip
away. I would love to see more resumes. If any of you have handfulls of
candidates you just can't get around to hiring, what's your secret? How
are you getting candidates in this market?

Ruth T. Glaser
Information Manager
Dataworks Corporation
rglaser -at- dataworksmpls -dot- com