Re: et cetera

Subject: Re: et cetera
From: "L. H. Garlinghouse" <garlinghou -at- WATERLOOINDUSTRIES -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 15:31:04 -0600

"Parker, Cassandra M. (EXCH)" <CMPARKER -at- INTERMEDIA -dot- COM>
posts:

> What is the appropriate usage of the word etc.
>
> For example:
>
> 1. When it is in the middle of a sentence, should a comma follow it?
>
> 2. When etc. is at the end of a sentence and the sentence ends with a
> question mark or a period, how do you handle this?

> 3. When etc. is at the end of a sentence but in parentheses, what would
> you do here:
> (computers, printers, scanners, etc.). OR
> (computers, printers, scanners, etc.)
>

> I have seen the usage of this little acronym in so many different forms
> that now I am confused.
============================
Referring to "Amo, Amas, Amat and More" by Ehrlich [ subtitled "How
to use Latin to your own advantage and to the astonishment of
others"].

etc. is and abbreviation of two (2) words, et cetera. It means "and
the rest" which is loosely translated as " and so on." It is only
used when speaking of things, not people. It definitely lis not an
acronym.

Re Q1: Mr. Ehrlich does put a comma after the period in the
abbreviation, i.e. " . . .abbreviation etc., is . . . ."

Re Q2 & 3: Strunk and White (mentioned earlier this AM) says that
"etc." is parenthetical and should be punctuated accordingly. I
guess this means that for punctuation purposes you just pretend the
"." isn't really there (?).

Thanks for the question. I never had it figured out and needed an
excuse to get it all straight too.

<< All opinions, statements, &c are my own>>
L.H. Garlinghouse, C.Q.E.
Pocahontas AR U.S.A.
(870) 892-4586 ext 7659
garlinghou -at- waterlooindustries -dot- com