Information Organization

Subject: Information Organization
From: Robin Allen <rmallen -at- TEXAS -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 10:53:56 -0500

Hi all:

I know we already have a similar thread going on placement of screen
shots, but my
question is a little different. I'm documenting a complex medical
imaging software
application and I need some advice as to how I should present and
organize the information.

Background: This software has several dialog boxes with several options
that require
in-depth explanation. For each dialog box, I have a heading that says
"About the XYZ
Dialog Box." There's a brief intro to the db and then a screen shot and
then an explanation
of each each field on the db. I then follow the db explanation with the
procedure topic
"Selecting XYZ." This procedure topic simply moves them through the
steps in order without much explanation of the options because I already
explained them in the db
explanation.

Problem: I'm not really happy with the way this works. It seems to
interrupt the flow of the
information, but the only alternative I can think of is to explain each
option within the procedure, but I could conceivably have Step 1 on one
page, and Step 2 one or
two pages later and the original screen shot could be three or four
pages away from the last step. How have you/would you handle this?

Thanks

Robin Allen
Twenty-Six Letters, Inc.
210-696-8721 voice