Re: What Defines "Entry-Level"?

Subject: Re: What Defines "Entry-Level"?
From: Wendy Putman <wputman -at- CASTLETON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 08:36:27 -0700

Comparing tech writing to preparing legal briefs (coming from a law
background, I feel I can speak to the subject) is akin to comparing a
dental surgeon to a heart surgeon. They're both fine professions, and
they're both in the field of surgery, but don't send me a dentist to
work on my heart, thank you. They're two distinct, parallel-path
professions.

On a similar note, one of our local universities is promoting their
English majors for co-op placements. They say their students are capable
of, among other things, "writing a user manual" during their four month
stint. One documentation manager commented -- he'd interviewed both tech
writing students and "generic" English majors -- commented that tech
writing students had a better grasp of reality.

Just $0.02 from a tech writer about to conduct job interviews for a
co-op placement ...

Wendy Putman, Technical Writer
Castleton Network Systems, Burnaby, BC
Tel: (604) 293-0039 / Internal: 722-5432